11 May 2009

A Poisoned Mind by Natasha Cooper



I actually liked this book more than the last one I read below Gagged & Bound, the plot line somehow seemed to ring more true to me. Perhaps the one I read first wasn't a good one to start off with as I was under the illusion that these books were about both Trish Maguire, the lawyer and her friend Caro, the police office. This one focused on just Trish with only a couple of mentions of Caro and they did not seem to be as close as they were in the other book.

This one covers a case which Trish defends on behalf of a waste management company who are being sued by a woman who's husband died after one of their tanks exploded. Trish sees something fishy in the case from the start, and begins to think the tanks on the property were somehow sabotaged. She also has personal problems with her son who's new friend's misbehavior causes problems among the family, despite this Trish and her husband take the friend under their wing who is suffering physical abuse from his brother.

The reason this book seemed more believable was the role of the lawyer and her ethical stance leading her to uncover what was an unfair case against the company she is representing. I'm doing law and just from my viewpoint it seemed she took a far more lawyer-ish stance than in the last book I read by Cooper. She has also just received her 'silks' making her a QC and this book also covers her fight to be recognised in her firm after her senior is injured in an accident.

The criticism I would have of this book is it seems to involve crisis after crisis especially with the troubled friend of her son. It did seem realistic I guess but a bit too dramatic.

A good read either way if you are into crime novels, or thrillers I recommend it.
Next up: Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

No comments: