13 April 2009

The Dancing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav



My father recommended I read this as he shares my interest in quantum physics. In fact, when I was about 16 I wanted to be a quantum physicist, some of me still does and this book made me remember why. It very effectively describes the main principles (at the time) of the very small things in life which of course contributes to how the slightly bigger things work. This book in fact encouraged me to drop one of my majors in order to be able to take up interest papers for a minor in Physics.
My one complaint is the confusing layout. It was separated into parts, and each part was labeled part one and each chapter within each part was chapter one. Very confusing.
Otherwise I really enjoyed this book, it provided a description to the layman of how much we know, and the amazing amount we still do not know about quantum, sub-atomic particles. It covered all the early theories of Newton as well as the more recent ones and explorations into sub-atomic phenomena like Planck, Einstein and many more.
It had easy to follow diagrams of the particles and a helpful list at the back of their Greek names, lifetimes and reactions. It also explained in laymen's terms the "Uncertainty Principle" and how it applies. It didn't mention Ernest Rutherford's experiment at all which I was sad about because he is a kiwi like myself.
Since this book has been published, the theory detailed in this book has been more proved by Aspect's experiment which was discussed in the book but had not yet been undertaken. It found that there were superluminal connections between sub-atomic particles. I am always surprised that you don't hear more about this sort of thing in the news. These experiments and theories of the last century have shown us how the world operates and I think it's important for anyone to understand "how stuff works" as it were. It describes it in a similar way to Hawking's A Brief History of Time the questions of modern physics in a way that normal people can understand. There were also footnotes provided for people interested in the subject which aided in understanding. Zukav's orginal training was not in Physics and he unpieced the principles himself with help from people who have good understanding of the subject.
It also relates many of these principles and theories to ideologies behind eastern religions, specifically Buddhism. Apparently in another book he goes more into these connections.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone, even if you are not interested in Physics, it is truly an eye opener.


I'm a bit behind, other books I have read recently that are coming up:
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Experiment
The 10pm Question
and I'm currently reading Franny and Zooey

1 comment:

bluemoon said...

The 'other book' you allude to sounds like it might be of interest to daleks! ;)

But I had a laugh at your remark "It describes it in ... a way that normal people can understand." Yep, us normal people have gotta keep up with what the abnormal people are up to!

Hey, just kiddin' - I know what you mean really.

OK then,
signed,
Mr.Picky