12 March 2009

Cunt by Inga Muscio



Sorry I have been a bit slack lately with university starting and everything, I actually finished this book like a week ago...I think.

I quite enjoyed this book, some of it was a little too radical for my liking but it was written quite unusually which really gave it a sort of character of itself. For me, it spent a bit too much time going on about the wonderfulness of masturbation, but that isn't any judgment on the book itself, more on me (I hate sex and most near things to it). So maybe I should have taken it in more, or something but it didn't quite convince me. Again probably not a reflection on the book itself, I should probably be more open about such things.
It started with a reflection of the transformation of the word 'cunt' from sacred honour to expletive which was incredibly informative.
It was definitely a book that was quite enjoyable to read, it covered most aspects of being a female and had some interesting tips about avoiding medical abortions and using more homey sort of 'remedies' which I found quite educational. It speaks of the way abortion patients were treated, when she had abortions anyway which says quite a lot about the shame that still surrounds it, even in this day and age. Women are still being given very little recovery time at the place where it takes place, and in my opinion this is mainly because of the negative regard a lot of people still hold in abortions. The presence of both anecdotes and factual evidence was useful as well.
I did like the way she challenged the status quo and actually came up with solutions, didn't just complain and whine like some books like this do. She also deliberately didn't make it solely about how women are treated in relationships and rape, domestic violence etc. It is nice to read a book that's not fully critical of men (although suggesting we throw bloody tampons at them is a bit much for me).
I would recommend this book however, it was a definite educational experience and it encourages us all to be the 'cuntlovin' ruler of her sexual universe', quite a good motto if you ask me.

Next up: White Teeth by Zadie Smith

1 comment:

laura said...

yeah, the "bloody tampon enslaught against rapists" was a tad extreme. although it does envoke quite an amusing image in my mind.

it sounds like your thoughts were similar to mine, overall. i'm glad you enjoyed it somewhat. looking forward to hearing how you find zadie smith :)