11 January 2010

Ulysses by James Joyce



I first read this book when I was about 15. At the time I was enthralled and amazed by it and Joyce's ability to create characters that were readable if not likeable and to summarily use almost every form of prose imaginable successfully. A second read of the copy I bought second-hand was no disappointment, expect that I perhaps found it more of a marathon to get through. I began this book in 2009 and finished it in 2010 which seems fitting for what has been called one of the most difficult books to read in the English language.

The book centres around a man called Leopold Bloom. It almost becomes a necessity to like Mr. Bloom from the start or at least be interested in him. His life on this day is intertwined with Stephen Dedalus' who he comes into contact with and corresponds with throughout the book. The book follows him over a day walking around Dublin encountering life, death and many things in between. Joyce manages to symbolically fit in aspects of Ireland at the time the book is set as well as an intricate character. Joyce has a gift of translating thoughts, sounds and visions into words so intricate that they are capable of creating a vivid imagination in the reader's mind.

If you are looking for a book with a plot and suspense; don't read this book. Despite being to me and to many others such a dazzling display of literature; it is also about an unexciting day in the life of a fairly ordinary man and readers have to be able to grasp the ideas and to read between the lines to fully appreciate what is being put across. Almost the entire book is written in a stream-of-conciousness style making it often difficult to follow and towards the end of the book it becomes a play, a set of questions and answers and finally a continual stream of thought of Mr Bloom's wife, Molly.

It's impossible to fit my thoughts about this book into a short review. It is readable, far less so than his other books but definitely possible. It is intricate and often difficult to follow and I would not advise reading it while you are tired. The time it took me to read the book this time was by no means a waste, however. Joyce is amazing, this book is amazing and I would love to study it in more depth when I have a spare year or two.

No comments: